Once you have decided to continue, payments are made to two organizations, San Jose Dojo and our the national organization, Shotokan Karate of America (SKA).
If you cannot pay your dues and fees on time, talk to an instructor. Alternatives are available.
San Jose Dojo fees
Dojo fees are due the first day of each quarter (each quarterly session lasts three months).
|Jan 1st||$300 ($150 for members joining before July 1st, 2019)|
|April 1st||$300 ($150 for members joining before July 1st, 2019)|
|July 1st||$300 ($150 for members joining before July 1st, 2019)|
|October 1st||$300 ($150 for members joining before July 1st, 2019)|
New members who join mid-quarter will pay an initial fee which is prorated1. This is to encourage new students to join anytime.
Proceeds pay for:
- Renting our space
- But not instructor salaries (Instructors are volunteers and earn $0.00 for leading and teaching)
Dojo fees payable to Johnny Martin. Check or cash works best.
Before making your first practice you will need to sign the San Jose Dojo’s liability waiver and photo waiver.
Shortly after joining San Jose Dojo, you will need to become an SKA member. You must obtain approval to join SKA from an instructor who will provide you with an SKA membership form. You are responsible for mailing the form and fees to SKA headquarters.
As of 2019, new SKA members pay $75 for their first year and receive:
- Student guide,
- Membership card,
- Access to members-only area of SKA’s website,
- Opportunity to be ranked at kyu tests (white and brown belt ranking), and many other benefits
No fees for:
- Grading/Raking. There are NO grading fees for kyu tests and NO dan test (black belt test) fees. All grading/ranking is included with your membership.
- Belts. Black belts and certificates are included with your membership; no additional fees.
- Uniforms, Clothing Items. You shop for your own uniform. There are no clothing surcharge fees and (other than those stylish $5 SKA patches, we do not require nor encourage you to buy anything from us or the SKA store.
Memberships in our national organization renew at the beginning of each year. Please make every effort to renew your SKA membership promptly.
- The prorated initial fee discount is computed by counting the number of practices before the start date divided by total practices in a quarter, then subtracting this amount from the quarterly fee. The first quarterly fee payment, minus this discount, should be made once the student decides to join. [return]